Spend the Winter getting Your Louisville Home Ready to Sell!
Starting just days from now and continuing thru early March Louisville Home Sellers will be thinking about selling their Kentuckiana homes. If you're one of them don't spend the winter months thinking about it. Spend the time preparing your home. Even if you don't want to sell you'll be thank full you spent the time fixing and cleaning it up.
The peak buying time in Louisville starts in March and continues through late July and into August. So waiting for March to start preparing your house is already too late! So well before you put up the 'For Sale' sign in the front yard spend the winter doing a little spring cleaning.
1) DE-Clutter - Get rid of the things you don't want to move to the new house.
2) Pack up deer heads, favorite collections, photographs, trophies, stuffed animals.
3) Clean out the closets, basements, garages, and attics.
4) Get rid of personal pictures of you and the family. It will keep a buyers attention on the space in the house and keep them from trying to figure out if they know you.
5) Make a list of the items you need to repair.... and go to work:
a) All items that need calking and painting. ( Baseboards, walls, around the sink, tub and shower, dirty or mildewed grout in the bathroom tile).
b) Re-paint rooms with bright colors, Ceiling stains.
c) Re-paint sloppy lines where walls meet ceiling
d) Any items that are broken or don't work (Ceiling fans, lights, drippy faucets, garage door).
Never ask friends what they think of your home. You'll never get a straight answer if they care about your feelings. Instead call a Louisville real estate agent, we look for problem areas and make suggestions.
Remember most buyers, especially first time buyers are looking for a move-in ready home and don't want to spend money on repairs. If a buyer is looking for a fix-er-upper they will look at short sales and foreclosures.
Bob Sokoler is a former Anchor/Reporter turned Louisville Realtor 7 years ago, and co-owner of The Medley Sokoler Team in Louisville Kentucky. You can learn more about Bob, his Team by clicking Louisville Real Estate.